School Is Cool is a perfect attendance program with a message to students that “Every Day Counts”. It was created as a long-term solution to the difficulty businesses were having with attendance in the workplace. Approximately 300 businesses donate to support this program.
Job Title: School Is Cool Coordinator
Reports to: President/CEO
FLSA Status: Hourly; 8 hours per week; 36 weeks
*This is a one-year position for the 2018-19 school year with the potential opportunity of continuation based on the overall success of the program and availability of funds.
- Track attendance at 26 public and private schools in Wayne County.
- Administer the distribution of prizes for each grading period.
- Conduct site visits and drawings 2 times per year in each school.
- Administer the distribution of year-end prizes, including bicycles in elementary schools.
- Coordinate with the Director of Programs and Events for the School Is Cool Senior Celebration.
- Coordinate with the Director of Marketing and Communications for publicity of the program throughout the year.
- Assist in growing enthusiasm among students, parents, teachers and administrators with the outcome of increasing overall attendance rates throughout Wayne County.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
High school diploma is required and an Associate’s Degree is preferred. The candidate must be comfortable speaking at school assemblies as well as one-on-one with adults and children alike. Organization and attention to detail as well as knowledge of Microsoft programs such as Word and Excel is imperative. Familiarity with the school systems will be helpful.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently as well as take direction from leaders.
- Ability to effectively and cooperatively work with all Chamber staff and volunteers in a collaborative and team-oriented approach and in doing so perform related duties as assigned with minimal supervision, handle multiple priorities, and pay attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate, verbally and in writing, to staff, the general public, and government officials.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all documents, records and reports.
- Working knowledge of standard operating procedures of the Chamber.
- Working knowledge of the Chamber’s computers, programs, and database management systems including: Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office programs, including Excel and Word.
- Working knowledge of information systems, computer, calculator, and other related basic office equipment.
- Must be available to work flexible work schedule.
- Must demonstrate strong desire to do quality, independent work.
- Must provide own reliable transportation. Mileage will be reimbursed.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk and hear. The employee is frequently required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The ability to view the computer monitor.
Work environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts and risk of electric shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
To apply for this position, please email a cover letter and resume to Melissa@WCAreaChamber.org.