President/CEO of the Wayne County Area Chamber of Commerce Position Description and Application Instructions
Summary – Provide executive leadership and general management oversight to the operations of the Wayne County Area Chamber of Commerce. This position will be ultimately responsible for membership growth and retention by representing the interests of its members across the community.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience in external customer relations and sales preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated experience in a leadership role
- Willingness to work evenings, early mornings, and weekends based on Chamber activities and events
- Comfortable with computer software, including spreadsheets and databases
Demonstrates positive interpersonal skills in every interaction with members, staff, Board, and external constituencies
- Demonstrates passion for Wayne County and its economic interests
- Provides leadership for the Chamber and its members
- Takes primary responsibility for the image and effectiveness of the Chamber
Responsible to: Board of Directors
Responsible for: Director of Education and Events, Director of Marketing and Membership, contracted financial staff, Interns and volunteers. Supervises and guides staff projects and staff management of their committees as well as any necessary assistance with these projects. Conduct annual performance reviews and evaluations
Lead and Mentor Staff to connect with Chamber Members and Non-Chamber Members to grow the footprint of the Chamber. Growing relationships with a diverse set of Community Leaders is a must. Connections with groups connected to the Chamber as well as those who are not are important to the health and growth of Chamber Membership.
Key Member Organizations that work in conjunction with the Chamber include the Economic Development Corporation of Wayne County, the Wayne County Convention and Tourism Bureau as well as Center City Development Corporation. The President must communicate regularly with these groups, elected officials and all of the cities and towns and their leaders within the County.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In conjunction with the Board of Directors, sets annual objectives and plans of work and is the lead for the implementation of this work.
- Coordinates agendas and meetings for Board of Directors, Executive Operating Committee, Community Leadership Council, Issues and Advocacy Committee and the Chamber Center for Excellence.
- Takes primary responsibility for membership growth through direct and frequent meetings, sales calls, and conversations.
- Foster member retention through direct and frequent member meetings and conversations leading toward the identification of member issues and advocacy for their resolution.
- Acts as primary contact for top-tier and larger member businesses and supports staff and Board in contacts with smaller and mid-sized members
- Personally attends and provides support for staff at all Chamber functions.
- Acts as fiscal manager for the Chamber by being responsible for development of annual budget then monitoring financial performance against that budget throughout the year with support from contracted financial staff and Board Treasurer.
- Directs and carries out Chamber Chat Television Program with WCTV
- Maintains a positive relationship with all area media outlets and is primary contact for those outlets
- Provides oversight and guidance for all Chamber events, marketing materials, and promotional activities.
The above description is intended to describe the general content, identify the essential job functions and set forth the requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of job functions or requirements.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
To apply for the position, submit the following materials: a letter of application outlining your interest in and qualifications for the position; a resume identifying relevant experiences and professional endeavors; and the names of three references (including contact information and a description of your relationship to the reference—e.g., former supervisor, current co-worker, etc.).
Applications deadline is January 31, 2018. Submit application materials as identified above electronically to: AmyW@WCAreaChamber.org
Position Description and Application Instructions: DOWNLOAD