Water, Air, Solid Waste, Toxics, and Energy (W.A.S.T.E)
U.S. EPA has partnered with IDEM and Purdue MEP to fund W.A.S.T.E. Stream Mapping assessments to 15 Indiana manufacturers at a significantly reduced cost. Through these assessments, Purdue MEP will meet with businesses (virtually if preferred), conduct on-site training (virtually if preferred), and assess processes in facilities to identify toxic materials, hazardous emissions, waste streams, and energy improvements. Businesses will be provided with a report and presentation from Purdue MEP outlining opportunities and recommendations for energy savings, less toxic materials and process improvements to prevent pollution and reduce waste.
Unlike other programs, the assistance doesn’t stop here. Once businesses have seen the recommendations, Purdue MEP will offer guidance as businesses prepare to explore innovative solutions to the identified opportunities for improvement. Follow-up assistance includes Purdue’s Faculty Assistance Program. This program pairs companies with unique and challenging unresolved projects with specialized University experts who can assist in resolving those niche problems. Up to 40 hours a year of assistance will be provided to businesses to help identify specific solutions to unique issues.
What businesses will receive:
- Two-day on-site W.A.S.T.E. Stream Mapping training for up to 12 participants ($4,000 value).
- Facilitated W.A.S.T.E. Stream Mapping project brainstorming, identification, and initial data collection, including a prepared report and representation with recommendations to facility staff.
- Facilitated solution analysis, feasibility analysis, and Return on Investment (ROI) calculation for final project selection, compiled in a custom action plan for your facility.
- Up to 40 hours of technical assistance by Purdue TAP Faculty Assistance Program (up to $20,000 value).
- Opportunity to apply for seed funding (average $4,500 value).
- Scheduled check-ins from Purdue MEP to collect data on project status and results.
- Customized final report showing cost savings, carbon emissions reductions, and waste reductions as well as reductions in permitting, fees, labor, disposal costs, and other expenses (potential $10,000-200,000 value, based on previous results. Results will vary based on specific projects).
Have questions? Contact Kelly Weger today!